It has become quite common to build online friendships in today’s digital age. But did you know that you can monetize this trend and get paid to be a friend online? Learn how an online friendship works, how to make money from it and where to find the best online friend services to join.
Even though it is now easier than ever to connect with others; we also can’t shake the feeling of social isolation from time to time. Those are the moments when you feel alone and lonely, and you’re craving to have a friend to talk to and listen to you.
You can be that friend, but the best part is, you can make money being one.
You can lend someone your listening ear and cheer them up by being an online friend. You can do this in the comforts of your home, in your free time, and you’ll be making money on the side.
But how does one become an online friend? And how do you maximize this money-making opportunity? Let’s find out.
What is a Virtual Friend?
Table of Contents
As the term implies, a virtual friend is a friend you meet and connect with online.
Like a real friend in person, you listen and empathize with your friend. Your relationship is usually just online, but some people meet their virtual friends in person.
So in this case, your online friendship is being “rented” so you make money when you provide your friendship to your clients. You and your friend could chat online, play games online, and more.
These relationships are usually platonic, so you are not expected to fall in love or go beyond what you can offer as a friend.
Also, clients understand that you are not expected to meet in real life, unless, of course, you agree to it.
Why Would People Pay for Online Friends?
You probably didn’t think that making friends online could be a lucrative business until now.
Yes, people are willing to pay for virtual friends.
Some of them are lonely, and they just need someone to cheer them up by chatting online. Others feel insecure with themselves, and they take comfort in connecting with someone who doesn’t know them in real life so they do not get judged.
Others seek outside perspective and advice, so they find online friends who can also act like their life coach.
People who seek online friends have varied needs. But on your part, being an online friend hits two birds with one stone: you help others, and you earn extra money.
How Much Do You Get Paid as a Virtual Friend?
Now, let’s get down to what matters the most in this side hustle: how much can you make as an online friend?
Your earning potential depends on a few things like how many clients you have, how many hours you work, and the kind of service you provide.
For instance, you can join friendship sites where you can act as a local friend to those who have recently moved into your area, while others allow you to become an online companion or provide life coaching services.
Most sources say that you can easily make at least $20 per hour as an online friend. So if you are looking for a home-based side hustle with a low barrier to entry that gives you enormous freedom and flexibility, then being a virtual friend is worth giving a try.
How to Become an Online Friend and Make Money from Virtual Friend Jobs
Compared to other work-from-home jobs that require specialized skills (bookkeeping, proofreading, and graphic design, for instance), working as an online virtual friend is relatively easier to get into.
However, virtual friends are not for everyone. Here’s what you need to make money online as a virtual friend:
1. Have a Charming, Friendly Personality.
Most friend seekers are shy, introverted, and lonely people, so they’re naturally drawn to people who can help them step out of their shells.
Having a friendly and empathetic personality also enables you to win more online friends.
2. Look at Friendship Sites or Virtual Friend Service Platforms
The easiest way to advertise your friendship services and attract more potential friends is to join sites that allow members to find and provide online friendships.
Join these sites and create a compelling profile that shows who you are as a person. You could list down your hobbies or interests, what you like to talk about, and more.
3. Protect your Identity and Privacy
Chatting with strangers on the internet can pose considerable risks to your identity and privacy. Never give away your true identity or hints of your real location. You might decide to meet in person with your friends one day, and that is up to you, but always do it with caution.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn a commission at NO extra cost to you for your purchases made through these links. Disclosure.
Easiest Ways to Make Money Online
- Swagbucks – Get paid to answer surveys, watch videos or shop online! Get a welcome bonus here for just signing up!
- MyPoints – Earn points to read emails, answer surveys, shop online, or play games and convert your points into cash. Get up to $10 bonus with your first purchase.
- InboxDollars – Get paid to answer surveys and more. Get $5 free for joining here.
- Buy groceries for other people and get paid for it. Become an Instacart shopper here and get paid up to $16.49 per hour!
- Branded Surveys- Get paid instantly by answering simple questions. Join now!
- Neighbor– Rent out your extra space at home and make money. Join Neighbor!
- Looking for a job? FlexJobs is my recommended job site for flexible, work-from-home jobs. Get an exclusive discount of up to 30 percent off with the promo code FLEXLIFE.
- FeetFinder – Sell pics of your feet on FeetFinder and make money!
6 Sites that Pay You to Be an Online Friend
Wondering where you can get paid to be an online friend? Here are 6 legit websites where people hire virtual friends.
1. Rent A Friend
Rent A Friend is one of the most popular friendship sites where you can get paid as an online friend.
Rent A Friend is growing by the day. It has amassed over 621,000 members from all over the world.
There are ways you can get paid as a friend at Rent A Friend. You can opt for pure virtual friend services and connect through Zoom, FaceTime or just become a phone friend.
But if you’re comfortable with it, you have the option to do an in-person meet-up with your friends
As someone’s online friend, you can get paid to do a few different things, such as escorting your friend to a wedding or social event, going out with him/her to the movies or dining out, teaching him/her new skills, giving personal and relationship advice, and more.
Pay: $10 – $50 per hour
- Rent A Friend will let you keep all your earnings.
- It is a well-established friendship service platform where you provide online companionship, no strings attached.
- The site charges a small membership fee to keep others from taking advantage of its services.
Related: RentAFriend Review
- Outdated website.
- Shy people may find it awkward to meet in real life.
Another excellent way to earn decent money as a cyber friend is to join the friendship site called FriendPC.
In this platform, you can get paid to chat online, play video games with your friend, or become a virtual girlfriend or life coach for someone.
FriendPC allows you to meet paying members and become their online friend. You can run your “friendship business” on your own terms. That is, you can set your rates, offer various kinds of services, get contacted with your preferred methods, and more. You are practically in control of almost every aspect of making money as a virtual friend.
Additionally, as part of FriendPC’s digital marketing campaign, you can also get paid to refer friends into the platform.
Pay: $10-$30 per hour
- You can set your own rates and method of communication with your online friends
- Payment is released immediately after completing the booking
- You can offer both in person and virtual friendship services
- FriendPC takes a commission fee off your earnings
- You need to pay for a higher package to access more listing options
3. Rent A Cyber Friend
You can also earn money as someone’s friend online on Rent A Cyber Friend, a platform that works just like FriendPC and Rent a Friend.
Rent A Cyber Friend offers people a good way to connect with others online who share their interests via a video chat. You get paid per minute of the calls (starting on the second minute), so the longer you stay on the line and keep your online friends company, the more money you earn.
Source: Rent A Cyber Friend
To apply as a virtual friend on Rent A Cyber Friend, you only need to be at least 18 years old, have a high-speed internet connection, and be friendly, cheerful, and engaging. Cyber friends from all over the world are welcome.
Just so you know, Rent A Cyber Friend comes at a cost, starting at $29.99 per month. Most virtual sites charge a fee to filter out spam, so consider these charges before diving in.
On the upside, you can charge as much as you like for the services that you offer. You can also customize your rates based on interests. For instance, you can charge a different rate for friends looking to play online games with you than with friends who share similar interests in music or movies.
Pay: average of $20 an hour
- You can search for online friends based on similar interests so you have something in common.
- You decide your own rates.
- You keep 100% of your earnings.
- You need to pay at least $29.99 per month to maintain membership.
- You need to get busy, otherwise, you won’t make more money.
4. Rent a Local Friend
Some people online would try to look for friends before they move into a new area, and this is where Rent a Local Friend comes in.
At Rent A Local Friend, you basically act as a local expert in your town or community and help newcomers get a better grasp of the area by showing them the sights.
Source: Rent a Local Friend
According to its website, thousands of travelers make use of Rent A Local Friend whenever they visit a new destination.
Also, there are over 1500 local friends online in 325 cities. If you live in a touristy area and can communicate in English, then working for Rent a Local Friend is a great idea.
To become a local friend at Rent a Local Friend, simply sign up and create a profile on the website.
You will be invited for an interview with the community manager and activate the friendship you wish to offer. Finally, you need to pay a contribution to verify your profile and start making money as a local friend.
Pay: Up to $30 an hour
- Set your own prices and schedule.
- Works well in you live in touristy areas.
- You need to pay a contribution fee to start making money.
5. Fiverr Friendship
Fiverr is an online marketplace to buy and sell freelance services, and selling your friendship to lonely people could work here too.
It’s quite easy to become a virtual friend online and make money from Fiverr. Simply set up your account, create your profile, and set your rates.
It’s good to include relevant keywords in your profile because Fiverr works like a search engine for remote workers. You’ll easily attract potential clients if they know that you are a good match for them.
One of the key ways to succeed and build online friendships on Fiverr is to be a bit more specific on the kind of services that you offer.
Scouring through the Fiverr Friendship section, I’ve found that most online friends offer one or more of the following: provide friendship and relationship advice, life coaching, playing online games with online friends.
Pay: at least $5 an hour, but you’ll probably make more if you offer your services in various packages
- Fiverr is one of the most established sites for freelancing, and its payment system is quite secure
- You can set your own rates and packages
- Fiverr takes 20% off your earnings as commission
- There is a lot of competition
- Lower pay grade as compared to other sites
6. Your Own website
Finally, you can earn money as a virtual friend by promoting your services on your own website. Fortunately, building your own business website doesn’t have to be expensive or complicated.
You can set up your own website in minutes for less than $3 per month by simply following this easy step-by-step tutorial.
With your own website, you can set your own rates and rules.
As always, be sure to discuss your hobbies and interests, the friendship services you offer, financial details, and how potential clients can contact you.
It’s also a good idea to cross-promote your website with your social media account. Who knows, one of your Facebook friends would want to hire you as a virtual friend?
There’s always a good chance that the friend requests you get can bring you to a high-paying lead.
- You can set your rates and rules.
- You’ll get all your earnings.
- You are not dependent on a platform. This means your business will not go with the platform if they decide to shut it down.
- You’ll need to learn how to market your services.
How to Increase Your Income as a Virtual Friend
Working as a virtual friend does pay good money, but only if you put in the work.
Starting and building virtual friendships can take some work, so if you want to keep the extra money rolling into your bank account, then consider the following tips:
- Be as detailed as possible without giving away sensitive personal information. Most clients want friends they can easily relate with, so make sure to describe your personality, what you like, what your hobbies and interests are, the languages you speak, places that you’ve been to and more.
- Be genuine and helpful. A lot of people online seek and pay for friends online because they are lonely and they want someone to chat with. It means a lot to them to have someone listen. If they ask for advice, give it to them. Your sincerity in engaging with your clients will show, and they’ll keep coming back if they feel happier and better after talking to you.
- Make it easy for friends to reach you. Indicate how you wish to communicate and the times when you are available. Grab every opportunity to engage. More friends means more money.
Virtual Friend Tips: How to Stay Safe While Making Money as an Online Friend
We’ve just discussed how to make money online as a virtual friend, now it’s time you learn how to go about this business safely.
Let’s face it: we are living in an online world and we don’t know the true person behind someone’s avatar or profile picture. So to establish virtual friendships that earn extra money, always keep these safety precautions in mind:
- Set clear boundaries. Most friendship sites are very clear about their no-dating policy. If you are to market yourself as a virtual friend on Fiverr or your own website or social media, for example, then you should put it out there that you are only offering platonic relationships and online companionship, nothing more.
- Do not reveal sensitive personal information. Don’t reveal your real name and location to your virtual friends. You never know if you’re dealing with a stalker or pervert, so it’s best to keep your identity private.
- Cut connections with your friend if you feel uncomfortable or threatened. Block the person and report him to the site’s customer service team.
- Be extra careful when meeting up with your virtual friends. Always let another person know who you’re meeting up with, when and where. If you decide to bring your friendship to the next level and are meeting up for the first time, consider bringing a friend along and doing the rendezvous in a public place.
- Beware of sugar daddy scams. Some people may try to scam you by offering you a large sum of money in exchange for your friendship. Once you give your bank details, they would try to ask for an upfront payment, but quickly disappear as soon as you send them the money.
Get paid to be an online friend: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I get paid to just talk to people?
Sure you can. A lot of people are looking for virtual friends they can just chat with when they’re lonely or depressed. Others are looking to connect with people they share the same interests with. You just need to find the best platforms to offer your online friendship services.
How can I have a virtual friend?
You can find a virtual friend by going to friendship sites like Rent A Friend, FriendPC and Rent A Cyber Friend. A lot of people there seek online friends, while others are getting paid to offer their friendship.
How do you get paid on Rent a Friend?
Indicate your hourly rate on Rent A Friend and then get paid in person, right after you’ve done your tasks as an online friend.
Is Rent a Friend real?
Yes, it is one of the most established platforms that allow you to find virtual friend jobs on the internet.
How can I and my friend make money?
You can make money as a virtual friend. You can get paid to chat or video call with someone. You could also meet in person so you can do things together, like going to the movies, exploring the outdoors or learning new skills.
Making money from virtual friendships can be a good way to boost your income. Getting jobs as a virtual friend doesn’t require much: you just need to be of legal age and have a pleasant, friendly personality. There are absolutely no specialized skills, certification, or bachelor’s degree required.
If you want to make money in your spare time in the least stressful way, then working as a virtual friend can be a great idea.
However, this business has its own risks, so be on your guard and only divulge information you are comfortable sharing. If you are clear with your boundaries and do your tasks excellently as an online friend, then you should reap the financial benefits of this side hustle.
Still Looking for Easy Side Hustle Ideas?
Check out the following posts for more easy money-making ideas!