If you’re looking for a part-time job that you can do on your own schedule, food delivery jobs can be a great option. Food delivery jobs are some of the best ways to make extra money. Freelance food delivery jobs are flexible, which means you can work as little or as much as you want, and they pay quite good, too.
There is a huge demand for food delivery drivers these days. According to Forbes, the online food delivery industry is poised to grow to $200 billion in the next five years.
Although the concept of food delivery isn’t new at all, as people have been ordering pizza through phone for the last couple of years, today, we now have a full-blown menu to choose from.
What this means for side hustlers is that the online food delivery industry has also opened up numerous job opportunities, especially for freelance food delivery drivers.
How much money can you make delivering food? According to Glassdoor, food delivery drivers can make between $11-$16 per hour, excluding customer tips.
Interested in food delivery jobs? Let us explore the top companies that offer flexible food delivery jobs that allow you to work on your own time.
Top Companies Offering Food Delivery Jobs
Table of Contents
Postmates is an on-demand food delivery service founded in 2011 and based in San Francisco, California. The company partners with local restaurants and retailers to deliver food and has 500,000 fleet members or delivery staff. Postmates now serves all 50 states of the US.
- You have to 18 years old or older
- You have a smartphone and install the Postmates Fleet app
- Pass their background check
Postmates doesn’t have a fixed pay or rate for their delivery drivers. How much you earn depends mostly on the amount of the order, time spent waiting, and the distance to the delivery address. According to Glassdoor, Postmates delivery drivers earn a minimum base pay of $4 per route, and $11/hour or more. You also get to keep 100% of your tips.
- You don’t need to own a car. You can deliver on foot, bike, or scooter.
- It is easy to qualify as a Postmates delivery driver
- You can withdraw your earnings weekly via direct deposit, or instantly by cashing out from the app.
- Some locations are already saturated by drivers
- New drivers don’t get much training
- You shoulder your own vehicle expenses if you choose to deliver via a car
- Tipping isn’t enabled on the app, and some clients are wary about giving tips in cash
DoorDash is a door-to-door service provider that connects local businesses to the people. The company provides delivery service for various restaurants and food establishments and operates in over 850 cities in North America.
- You must be 18 years old or older
- Own a vehicle to use for deliveries (bike, car, or scooter)
- Driver’s license and social security numbers
- Pass the background check
There is no fixed amount when it comes to how much you can earn with DoorDash. But according to Glassdoor, you can make $11/ hour on the average. Your earnings are also affected by promotions and tips.
- You can set your own schedule, six days in advance
- Apart from a car, you may also ride a bike or go on foot when doing deliveries (depends on your location)
- Claim your salary once a week or withdraw them instantly via DailyPay
- Get peak pay bonuses
- Keep all your tips
- The app’s rating system can force dashers to take subpar jobs to maintain good standing
- Gigs and pay aren’t always consistent
- You work as an independent contractor, so you aren’t eligible for regular employee benefits
Shipt is a delivery service acquired by Target. It is an independent subsidiary that offers same-day deliveries of groceries as well as non-food products to their clients. Shipt employs more than 50,000 delivery drivers in over 100 metro areas.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have reliable 1997 vehicle or newer
- Have auto insurance and valid driver’s license
- Own a smartphone to download and use the Shipt app
- Own insulated cooler bags
- Be able to lift up to 40 pounds of products
Shipt shoppers and delivery drivers earn an average of $11-$13/ hour, according to Glassdoor. However, you may earn more, if you open your work schedule more frequently or grab gigs that other shoppers did not take. You also get to keep 100% of the tips.
- It is very flexible. You can take or decline orders as you prefer.
- You can earn more with promos. When customers place their orders very close to the delivery window, Shipt offers you extra dollars for taking the job.
- You know how much you make per order. The app shows you exactly how much you’ll be paid for every order, allowing you to decide whether the tasks are worth taking or not.
- Your car could get more wear and tear.
- Shipt does reimburse your fuel expenses.
- You don’t know what products you have to shop for unless you accept the order.
A lot of people are already familiar with Uber, a ridesharing app that allows drivers to drive passengers in their personal vehicles. Its sister company, Uber Eats, drivers pick up food orders and then delivers them to the customer’s address.
Uber Eats is currently available in over 500 cities across the US.
- You must own a vehicle to use for delivery, whether it’s a car, scooter or bike. The vehicle must be no more than 20 years old.
- You are at least 19 years old if the mode of delivery is a four-wheeled vehicle or scooter, and at least 18 years old if the mode of delivery is a bike.
- You must have adequate vehicle insurance.
- Own a smartphone to use the food delivery jobs app for Uber.
- You are willing to undergo a background check.
The salary is calculated based on the pick-up fee, delivery fee, and miles covered. But according to Glassdoor, you can earn an average of $11 an hour. You also get to keep 100% of the customer tips, as well as 25% Uber commission. You can get paid once a week, or withdraw your earnings up to 5x a week via InstantPay.
- You can work with your own schedule, as little or as much as you like.
- It’s pretty easy to qualify as a food delivery driver.
- You can redeem your earnings quickly from your bank account.
- You are an independent contractor, hence you are not qualified for employee benefits.
- Uber removes a 25% commission from your income.
- You shoulder your own fuel expenses.
GrubHub is an online food-ordering technology serving over 4,000 cities and partners with more than 300,000 restaurants. The company claims to have a busy marketplace with over half a million active users.
- Be 19 years old or older
- Have at least 2 years driving experience
- Have auto insurance and driver’s license
- Own a smartphone with a data plan
- You have an active checking account
- Pass the background check
GrubHub’s base rate is $5 per delivery. However, if you don’t make enough deliveries during your working shift, they also offer a guaranteed hourly pay of $10.50 per hour as long as you deliver 85% of the gigs offered to you during your shift. According to Glassdoor, most GrubHub drivers make around $12/hour, plus 100% of the tips.
- GrubHub provides a mileage allowance
- You only pick-up and deliver orders; customers have paid their orders beforehand
- There’s a guaranteed hourly pay for lean days, as long as you meet the conditions
- You don’t have much options for work schedules if you aren’t a premier driver
- You can be penalized if you miss your shift or cancel orders
- Pay can fluctuate, depending on the time of day, weather and other reasons
Food Delivery Jobs Near Me: Are You Ready to Start This Side Hustle?
Food delivery jobs are some of the most flexible side-gigs in the market, and they’re perfect for people who want to earn and still maintain control of their time. It’s incredible how you can make money delivering food, but of course, you’d want to pick the best company in your area to work for.
Have you tried any of these food delivery companies? Tell us about your experience in the comments below!