This post may contain affiliate links.
Hello and welcome to my GOALS PROGRESS UPDATE (September 2017)!
This came late because we had no power for a couple of months. If you don’t know, I live in Puerto Rico and on September 20, a Cat 5 hurricane named Maria hit the island, leaving millions without power, water and Internet.
I started writing about my income in August but this time I want to do it a little different. I realized I just don’t like to write about how much I make each month and make my journey sound too income-centric. Rather, I want to write about what I am actually doing to reach my two life goals ( financial freedom and meaningful living) and where I am actually at in my journey. My blog is about finding balance in life because to me, while money is important to live, it’s not all that matters in life.
So in this kind of post (which I intend to write every month or so starting January 2018), I talk about my actual progress in:
- My Financial Journey – I want to show you what I do to bring in some money as a stay-at-home mom with a small baby. My ultimate goal is to earn a full-time income from home, save money and retire early.
- Meaningful Living Journey – I want to show you in this post what I’ve done to improve my life and enjoy it. My progress in this aspect may not be as quantifiable as my financial progress but I feel I need to write about it here for accountability and to further inspire myself to continue pursuing my goals.
Why Publish My Goals Progress?
Well, here are my reasons:
- Accountability- By posting my progress, I also motivate myself to do better each month.
- Inspire others- I am writing about my journey also to hopefully inspire others, most especially the audience I am writing to. If I can show you it’s possible for me to reach my goals as a stay-at-home mom, then it should be possible for you, too!
- Show you how- I blog firstly to improve my life and finances, and I want to show you what I do to achieve my goals, what income sources I’ve tried for the month, what works for my situation as a stay-at-home mom, and mistakes and lessons I’ve learned. I think a post like this is a great way to show you these details and the progress I am making each month.
Whether I succeed in reaching my life goals or not is yet to be seen. I hope you stick around and join me on this journey!
When I Started This Journey
Now, for full disclosure, let me tell you my situation when I started this journey.
I am a new mom with a less than a year old baby. I started this blog in June but back then I did not have a clear idea on what I really wanted to achieve with this blog. I knew I wanted to do more with it apart from documenting my parenting journey.
After getting inspiration from other blogs and also from my own life experiences—from becoming a mom, my father’s passing, financial struggles and many other things that happened in between, I decided to transform this blog into something that motivates me, and hopefully others, too. In August, I decided to blog about my life goals.
I started this journey as a freelance writer who took a break from freelancing in November 2016 to March 2017 due to my pregnancy. I started accepting projects again in March, but due to the long maternity break, I lost a couple of clients.
So, when I started this journey, I pretty much had to start from scratch again with $0 recurring projects. I also started this journey with a very limited time (maximum of 4 hours a day), with a small baby and honestly, no idea what to do or where to start.
Goals to Make Money
My ultimate goal is to diversify my income and hopefully earn a passive income through this blog.
If you want to start a blog for less than $4 a month, here’s my step-by-step tutorial.
What I Did in September 2017
- Freelance Writing: $1005
I would have maintained the August income if the hurricane didn’t happen. I had to cancel a project because I had no means of completing it after the hurricane.
- Blog: A whopping $2.97! (from ads)
Honestly, that was the sweetest income I made in my entire life! I was so ecstatic when I saw my ads earnings because I didn’t expect that this new and baby blog would generate a passive income this soon. I only had 5 posts!
- Affiliate Income: $0
TOTAL $1007.97 BEFORE EXPENSES
I have tons of expenses including hosting, stock photos, convertkit ($29 per month), ultimate bundles ($97) and Independent Contractors. I think I need to lower my expenses starting January and take in more writing projects.
Mindful Living Goals
I decided to include my goals for this aspect of my life because I want to live a balanced life that is not just about making money to live or living to make money.
So, here is my progress as of September 2017 to improve my life:
Declutter and organize a closet- MET
Start a low carb diet – MET!
Start a herb garden- FAIL
Fun time with the baby- MET!
Most Recent Post about my Meaningful Living journey:
You can join me on my journey into meaningful living and to financial freedom by signing up for my newsletter.
Goals for January 2018
- Increase freelance writing income
- Increase blog traffic to 3000 views
- Cut down on blog and independent contractor expenses.
- 4-6 articles for January 2018
- Start a herb garden
- Exercise and diet (lose 10 lbs)
- Take the baby out every week
- De-clutter and get rid of more things I don’t use.
- Help/ donate -Being able to help others is always a BIG part of my goals . If my income does not have room for this, then I am not financially free. Financial freedom for me is being able to afford a simple life without having to become a slave to work and money, while being able to help others as well.
- Start saving for a vacation- In the past 7 years, my husband and I have never had a vacation together because of financial issues and work, and I want this to change in 2018.
I realized that to thrive in freelancing, you really have to dedicate more time into it. So in January, I will focus 70% of my efforts on freelance writing to improve my income while building this blog and exploring other sources.
Obviously, I am still very far from my ultimate goal.
Hi! My name is Jane, the mama behind this blog. I am blogging my journey to financial freedom and into meaningful living off zero income, $0 in personal savings and with less than a year old baby. Join me on my journey!
Subscribe to get our latest posts by email!
Earn Money from Home + Save Money + Meaningful Living